I’ve been big into homemade preserves lately and absolutely love the flavour of ginger. I came across this ginger syrup recipe from Saveur magazine and was very impressed with the results. I love the peppery bite this syrup has with the added black pepper. I modified the recipe by adding more sugar and found I had to boil the syrup down considerably to get a nice thick consistency of maple syrup. This could be used on pancakes, to moisten cakes, on ice cream or even added to sodas.
- 1 6 inch piece of ginger
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 11/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Peel and slice ginger and add to 2 qt pot
- Add sugar, water and peppercorns and boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until almost reduced in half (30 minutes)
- Chill overnight, then strain into a glass or plastic bottle