My son loves muffins when he comes home from school so I came up with this healthy gluten free version that is low in fat and delicious and moist.
Gluten free carrot muffins.
Author: Handmade Health
Recipe type: Breakfast snack
Cuisine: gluten free baking
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ salt
- 2 TBLS ground flax seed (mix with 4 TBLS warm water)
- ½ cup sliver almonds or mixed walnuts(optional)
- ½ brown sugar
- ¼ apple sauce
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips or raisins (optional but my son won't eat them unless they have chocolate chips.
- ¼ cup coconut oil or olive oil
- Beat the egg
- Add melted oil and sugar and orange juice and mix with the blender
- Mix together dry ingredients
- Add liquids to dry ingredients and mix quickly
- Gently stir in grated carrots and add nuts and chocolate chips
- Spoon into coconut oiled or pam sprayed muffin tins
- Fill almost to the top to make 12 regular size muffins or 36 mini muffins
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.